Q: As Salam Alaikum respectful Imam Sahab,
I have some questions about fitra which is due before eid prayers:
1. Who is responsible to pay fitra for a wife, her husband or herself?
2. If wife is paying all household expenses then whom should be paying her fitra herself or her husband?
3. Should a wife pay husband’s fitra if he is not working?
4. Is that a good demand from husband to ask wife to pay his fitra and debts?
Jazzak Allah Khairun
Time: Sunday August 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Answers: وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
- Each adult is responsible for his/her own sadaqatul fitr. If the wife wishers to pay for her husband, she must do so with his consent. This applies both ways.
- A woman should not be paying all the household expenses. The household responsibility is that of the husband. If for some reason he cannot work and she is compelled to work, then and then only must she work. In either case, she would only be responsible for her personal Sadaqatul Fitr.
- If he has money, he must pay his own sadaqatul fitr. If you wish to pay for him and he accepts this offer, you may do so. (Not working in Islam does not mean poverty.)
- He cannot make such a demand in Islam. Each person is responsible for his sadaqatul fitra/debt.
Allah Certainly Knows Best.
p.s. I think you have deeper issues that need to be resolved. Go to a good scholar that understands Islam, culture and western environment. Life if too precious to live in misery. May Allah (SWT) bless you and your family, Ameen.