Asalam ulaikum, Dear imaam
1) On a daily basis i try to stay away from sins and bring the most good out of the day. 2) But there is still one big sin i keep committing. I am not strong enough to stay away from it, but i would love to stop it. I have tried many times, but each time i fail.3) I am afraid Allah will stop forgiving me because i keep going back to the sin. 4) Please help me with a dua or something that i can do to stop this. This one sin stops me from doing alot of good deeds. 5) I dont know wat to do anymore.Please help. Jazakallah u khairan.
Time: Monday March 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm
Answers: وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته
1) Staying away from sins is a gift form Allah. You must thank Allah for this ability. Thanking Allah would make you spiritually stronger. Not thanking Allah reduces His bounties upon us. (derived from ayah)
2) To move away from evil, visualize that Allah is looking at you. (Derived from hadith.) You cannot totally stop if your nafs have being wrongfully trained. To retrain your nafs, refrain from the given wrong that you wish to stop for a minimum of about 40 days. Every time you go towards that wrong, place a penalty upon yourself. E.g: $5.00 to a person that you look down upon. This would assist you in refraining from a given wrong.
قُلۡ يَـٰعِبَادِىَ ٱلَّذِينَ أَسۡرَفُواْ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِهِمۡ لَا تَقۡنَطُواْ مِن رَّحۡمَةِ ٱللَّهِۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ يَغۡفِرُ ٱلذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًاۚ إِنَّهُ ۥ هُوَ ٱلۡغَفُورُ ٱلرَّحِيمُ
Say (oh Muhammad SAW): O My slaves (servants) who have been reckless to themselves (doing evil)! Despair not in the Mercy of Allah, Verily Allah forgives all sins. Verily Allah is the most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Allah (Subhanahu Wata’Ala) will always forgive His sincere servants for crimes against Him. Your fear is from shaytan who is tricking you to feel pious with this given thought. Your thinking maybe viewed as pious, but in reality, any thinking that is contrary to the Quran is baseless. To despair in His Mercy is to relinquish hope in Him. To give up hope in Allah is tantamount to disbelief. This is wrong for a believer. Thus a Muslim always prays for the Love and Compassion of Allah upon all. Do not let shaytan make you despair in the Love and Mercy of Allah
4) Make lots of istigfar in your spare time. One hadith sates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) used to make istigfar no less then 100 times a day. Sit in the company of good people and read your istigfar in private as well as public. Attach your self to the Quran.
5) (As said in a previous post)
‘The first step for you would be to practice whatever little you can from the Quran and sunnah. The following points are mentioned in Hadith for improving one’s self. A simple suggestion would be inclusive of sharing the complete Islamic greeting when greeting one another. Take its words serious and live up to its value. Share love and peace to all people worthy of it. This may seem trivial but it remains a starting point. Learn to visit the sick. Go to the invitations of the pious. Eat halaal foods. Look at that which is pure and not that which is forbidden. Following the minutest of sunnah helps chip away with sinning and reduces the heart from being filled with restlessness. These measures would bring joy to strengthening ones Imaan.
The ability to repent and desire to seek change is proof that Allah (Subhanahu Wata’Ala) loves you and wants the very best for you. Few people have the ability to repent sincerely as a result of wrong. Consider yourself blessed.’
Allah Certainly Knows Best.